Perfect Pink Polka Dots

Thursday, February 2, 2012

My Relaxerless Journey

In July of last year I decided to try the "natural" thing AGAIN having failed miserably about five years ago. So I let the best thing to happen to hair, Marcela basically give me a buzz cut. It wasn't really a buzz cut but it was short! Let me just say that this is a journey. Taking care of natural hair requires more studying than the courses I am currently taking. I've used a ton of products that worked well for others but failed miserably for me.

For example the Kinky Curly line and I did not vibe. I'm currently using a combination of two lines. So far, so good. I started with Sheamoisture shampoo, conditioner and Curling Smoothie. This combination gives my natural curl a good look but I was unhappy with how dry my hair felt. So, I added the Wen system to the mix and my hair definitely feels more moisturized. Soon, I plan to try some protective styles, two strand twists in particular. If you're joining me on this journey, I'd love to hear your stories.

2 comments:

  1. Im not brave enough yet to go back to the natural look being that I just started getting perms at the age of 21. I would love to be natural but I'm scared to make the transition. I am enjoying my daughter's natural hair. I haven't done much research on Wen but is it ok for children? I wish she would agree to get dreads but she's not interested and I wouldn't dare force something like that on her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading. I understand your daughter's apprehension when it comes to dreads. My cousin has them though. She loves them and I think they're beautiful. As far as Wen and safety in children, the creators haven't specifically addresses that. I do however use it in my daughter's hair.

    ReplyDelete