Perfect Pink Polka Dots

Friday, January 6, 2012

Is Chivalry Dead

"Chivalry is largely dead and feminism is the murderer" -Laura Schlessinger

The question posed is an old one. However, it's not age old per say. There was a time that it was understood that men are to be gentlemen and women should expect and enjoy this courtesy. These days that is not the case. I can't tell you how many times I'm walking in a building behind a "man" or into a shared space with one and he neglects to hold the door or allow me to pass first. That is definitely a pet peeve.

The above author argues that the feminist movement killed chivalry. I beg to differ. I'm a very independent woman but I'd appreciate the valor of a man at some point. If feminism is indeed the culprit I encourage ladies to remain self sufficient but make room for courtesy. Encourage your sons to practice chivalry and your daughters to accept nothing less.

Case in point, Ania's Uncle Tyler opened the car door for her a couple of weeks ago. She responded by saying "You don't have to open my door" in a snappy tone. I immediately let her know that any man who doesn't take time to open the door isn't worthy of her time. I hope she'll remember that.

2 comments:

  1. "Any man who doesn't take time to open the door isn't worthy of your time." - What a great thing to teach the women of our future!! However, if a great guy's mom didn't teach him to open doors, well, then I guess we ladies must teach men what is expected & see if they follow through. If not, SEE YA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right Nicole! Great point.

    ReplyDelete