Perfect Pink Polka Dots

Saturday, December 10, 2011

I Am Not my Hair



Do you remember this song from India Arie, "I am Not My Hair"?  These days everyone is going natural.  Yesterday I had a brief but extremely enlightening conversation with my Aunt Robin.  She's beautiful, strong willed and oh so intelligent.  Among other things, we discussed my transition to natural hair.  Aunt Robin has started her journey to natural but refuses to cut her relaxed ends because she says her head is too big.  She needs some Arie in her life, right?  My fro is blossoming.  She was like "Wow, it's getting up there.  You know that makes your head look big, right?"

My response was "I don't care.  It's easy and I love it!"  The fact is my head is big (thanks Paw Paw).  Neither natural or relaxed hair can change that.  I used to concern myself with the opinions of others but that is no longer  a problem.  I love me.  Make sure you love you.  If you don't, you may allow negativity, settling and pain in your life.  You were born to be great so be great and do you.  There is so much more to me than my hair.  If that's as deep as you're willing to search, you're not searching for much.  


Me, extra early

No comments:

Post a Comment