Perfect Pink Polka Dots

Friday, December 16, 2011

You Do What?





At the altar when one is saying "I do" what exactly is one agreeing to do?  According to the CDC there were 2,077,000 marriages in the United States in 2009 (CDC, 2010).  The rate of marriage was 6.8 per 1,000 of the population (CDC, 2010).  Sadly, the number of divorces was 3.4 per 1,000 of the population (CDC, 2010).  It seems like it's easy to get into a marriage and about half as easy to get out of one.  As I'm writing I'm watching Kim and Kourtney take New York and remembering past episodes of Keeping Up with the Kardashians.  It's obvious to me that Kim and Kris were so into getting married that they didn't research the effort required to stay married. 

Kris acts like he just found out after saying "I do" that Kim is a reality tv star who leads a hectic life.  Also, Kim seems to have only found out about Kris' immaturity after moving to New York.  Now, I've been a part of a sneak attack where the person I married wasn't the person I knew previously but this relationship was one big caution light.  Having been a part of a failed marriage I don't want to join in on the lynch mob that seeks to hang Kim for searching for the fairy tale.  I do wish that after she exits her griefing phase she uses her famous for being famous face to reach her audience and encourage them to a) not rush into marriage and b) put a little effort into working on love. 

Let me just say that some of the best examples of longevity in marriage can be found a little closer to home.  My Aunt Bebe and Uncle Bobby are mine.  Thirty six years and still growing strong.  They give me hope that Boaz is still out there.



Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.  (2010). http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/divorce.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment